A member asked over 7 years ago

Travelling on good behaviour bond

I am travelling to Canada in about a month and am currently in the process of doing my working holiday visa. I appeared in court a couple of months ago and received a section 10b good behaviour bond without conviction. This now appears on my police check and am just wondering how it will affect my future travel prospects. Wondering what my chances of getting a visa will be and if they will even let me in the country.

Law Advisor Research Team
Researchers at LawAdvisor

Hi there. Whether you will be granted a visa depends on the laws and regulations of Canada.
A person may be denied entry to Canada if they have been convicted of an offence outside of Canada that is considered a crime in Canada, or they have committed an act outside of Canada that is considered a crime under the laws of the country where it occurred and would be punishable under Canadian law, regardless of whether a conviction was recorded in the home country.

The nature of the offence you committed is not clear, so it cannot be determined whether it would be punishable in Canada. If it is punishable in Canada, you may be deemed ineligible to enter Canada (referred to as ‘criminally inadmissible’ under Canadian law).

However, there are several ways to overcome criminal inadmissibility and therefore gain entry to Canada. Depending on the nature of the crime and whether enough time has passed, a person may be deemed rehabilitated under Canadian immigration law and eligible to enter Canada. Alternatively, if at least five years have passed since the offence date, a person can apply for individual rehabilitation by showing that they have been rehabilitated and are highly unlikely to take part in further crimes.

There are other ways to overcome criminal inadmissibility, but they do not appear to apply to your situation.

In deciding whether to grant you a visa, Canadian border services officers will assess your application against certain criteria and rules, having regard to the nature of the offence, the date of the offence, and any penalty imposed. It is difficult to predict whether you will be granted a visa. Visit the immigration and citizenship section of the Government of Canada website for more information (www.cic.gc.ca).

Suggested way forward

You would benefit from speaking to an immigration lawyer or Canadian law expert to determine whether your visa application is likely to be approved as well as your appeal options if the application is denied. By pressing the “Consult a Lawyer” button, LawAdvisor can help you search for experienced lawyers and obtain fee proposals for their services. Costs for legal advice and representation will vary between providers based on experience and the scope of services.

Answered over 7 years ago   Legal disclaimer


Hire lawyers to solve your legal problem now. Learn more

Other Questions

If you're experiencing any technical problems, please email techsupport@lawadvisor.com.