A member asked over 8 years ago

Letter of administration

I am seeking a quote for lodging a letter of administration to high court for a deceased estate.

Law Advisor Research Team
Researchers at LawAdvisor

Hi there. A deceased person’s property is usually distributed according to the terms of their will. A grant of probate is a legal document issued by a court that certifies that a will is valid and can be acted upon. If a person dies without a will or if a will is not valid, letters of administration are issued instead of probate.

You asked for a quote in relation to obtaining letters of administration from the High Court. The High Court of Australia does not deal with wills and estate matters. You are based in Victoria, which means the appropriate court for obtaining letters of administration is the Supreme Court of Victoria. You can contact the Probate Office of the Supreme Court of Victoria for more information about letters of administration (www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au).

Suggested way forward

Obtaining the help of a lawyer for probate matters is a good idea. A lawyer can properly assess the deceased person’s estate and advise you on how to obtain the grant of probate or letters of administration. By pressing the “Take Action” button – which will become available soon – LawAdvisor can help you search for experienced lawyers and obtain fee proposals for their services. Costs for legal advice and representation will vary between providers based on experience and the scope of services.

Answered over 8 years ago   Legal disclaimer


Hire lawyers to solve your legal problem now. Learn more

Other Questions

If you're experiencing any technical problems, please email techsupport@lawadvisor.com.