A member asked almost 9 years ago

Freezing assets during criminal investigation

Can the government freeze my assets if I am the subject of a criminal investigation?

Nicholas Stewart
Partner at Dowson Turco Lawyers

In short, the answer is, yes, but it depends on the type criminal proceedings involved.

For example, under the Criminal Assets Recovery Act 1990 the NSW Crime Commission may seek a "restraining order" - an order that no person is to dispose of or attempt to dispose of, or to otherwise deal with or attempt to otherwise deal with, an interest in property to which the order applies except in such manner or in such circumstances (if any) as are specified in the order.

Suggested way forward

You should speak to a lawyer about the proceedings and the likelihood of such an application.

Answered over 8 years ago   Legal disclaimer


Hire lawyers to solve your legal problem now. Learn more

Other Questions

If you're experiencing any technical problems, please email techsupport@lawadvisor.com.