A member asked almost 8 years ago

Cheated and defamed by bank

I've been maliciously cheated,mistreated and defamed by a bank team last Tuesday morning,18 July. Can you get a local lawyer to help me to sue them?

Law Advisor Research Team
Researchers at LawAdvisor

Hi there. The exact nature of your legal problem is not clear. Below is some general information that may be helpful.

If you are dissatisfied with the service you have received from a bank, you should lodge a complaint with that bank. This will be the quickest way to resolve your issue. If you are unhappy with the bank’s response, you can lodge a formal complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service (www.fos.org.au). This is an independent third party organisation that will investigate your complaint and attempt to resolve the matter.

You said you believe you were defamed. From a legal perspective, defamation is a very specific legal claim. A person is defamed if defamatory material (i.e. content that would lower a person’s reputation in the eyes of an ordinary person) has been published and the material specifically identifies that person. The defamatory material must have been published; it cannot simply have been said orally in a personal conversation or phone call.

There are other laws that protect a person from being harassed or discriminated against. More information about anti-discrimination laws can be found on the Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW website (www.antidiscrimination.justice.nsw.gov.au). You can lodge a formal complaint with this body if you believe you have been discriminated against.

Suggested way forward

If you are unable to resolve your matter through one of the above channels, you should consider speaking to a lawyer who can fully assess your situation and advise you of your legal rights. By pressing the “Consult a Lawyer” button, LawAdvisor can help you search for experienced lawyers and obtain fee proposals for their services. Costs for legal advice and representation will vary between providers based on experience and the scope of services.

Answered almost 8 years ago   Legal disclaimer


Hire lawyers to solve your legal problem now. Learn more

Other Questions

If you're experiencing any technical problems, please email techsupport@lawadvisor.com.