A member asked over 8 years ago

AVO against women

My wife is quite violent towards me, can I get an AVO against her even though it is woman?

Brett Jones
Principal Solicitor at Freemont Family Lawyers

In Victoria, you can obtain a family violence intervention order against a person, no matter what their gender is, if they are a family member and the person:

1. has; and

2. are they either are likely to or they will;

commit behaviour that meets the definition of family violence:

(1) For the purposes of this Act,family violenceis—

(a) behaviour by a person towards a family member of that person if that behaviour—

(i) is physically or sexually abusive; or

(ii) is emotionally or psychologically abusive; or

(iii) is economically abusive; or

(iv) is threatening; or

(v) is coercive; or

(vi) in any other way controls or dominates the family member and causes that family member to feel fear for the safety or wellbeing of that family member or another person; or

(b) behaviour by a person that causes a child to hear or witness, or otherwise be exposed to the effects of, behaviour referred to in paragraph (a).

Suggested way forward

The above information is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. I would suggest you speak to a lawyer experienced in intervention orders to discuss your specific circumstances. You can contact us on 1800 976 214 for a free legal consultation.

Answered over 3 years ago   Legal disclaimer


Hire lawyers to solve your legal problem now. Learn more

Other Questions

If you're experiencing any technical problems, please email techsupport@lawadvisor.com.