A member asked over 7 years ago

Adding names to title

Hi. I was just wondering if I can add my parents name to title of my house, as it is half their house (they put in 50% of the money), but at the time they only wanted my name on title? Also I was curious if I can do this without them having any knowledge of it? Thanks.

Law Advisor Research Team
Researchers at LawAdvisor

Hi there. To include your parents’ names on the title to your house, they will need to have an interest or share in the property. This means that you will need to complete and lodge the following forms with your local Land & Property Information (LPI) office:

  1. Transfer form 01T – This form records your parent’s acquisition of an interest in the property. You will need to indicate whether you and your parents are to hold the interest as ‘joint tenants’ or ‘tenants in common’. These terms have a special legal meaning and affect what happens to the property if either you or one of your parents dies. You should seek legal advice about the type of co-ownership you want.
  2. Notice of sale (NOS) form – This form can be completed online or ordered in hard copy from the LPI website (www.lpi.nsw.gov.au).
  3. Original Certificate of Title – This document will be held by you or, if there is a mortgage on the property, the lender.
  4. Any mortgage documents – If the property is mortgaged, your parents' acquisition of an ownership interest in the property needs to be reflected in the mortgage documents. You should contact the lender to discuss the proposed transfer as soon as possible.

In NSW, transfer of land duty (formerly called stamp duty) is payable on most transfers of land. Your parents will be transferees of land and therefore required to pay duty to the Office of State Revenue (OSR). Duty is calculated based on the total dutiable value of the property subject to the transaction. If your parents are not paying money to acquire an ownership interest in the property, you will need to provide evidence of the value of the property. This will require a valuation of the property to be done. Note that the ‘Transfer form 01T’ referred to above must be stamped or marked by the OSR before presenting the form to LPI. More information on stamp duty can be found on the OSR website (www.osr.nsw.gov.au).

It is unlikely you could add your parents’ names to the certificate of title for your house without their knowledge. This is because, as transferees, they would need to sign several legal documents, including those listed above, as part of the sale process. You would not be able to properly or legally complete these documents without their signatures.

Suggested way forward

Dealing with property can be a complicated process. You should speak to a property lawyer about your planned transfer as they can advise you of your legal obligations and assist in the process. By pressing the “Consult a Lawyer” button, LawAdvisor can help you search for experienced lawyers and obtain fee proposals for their services. Costs for legal advice and representation will vary between providers based on experience and the scope of services.

Answered over 7 years ago   Legal disclaimer

Aneta Dimoska Di Marco
1 lawyer agrees with this answer
Img 20171024 223012
Aneta Dimoska Di Marco

The office of state revenue now also requires purchaser/transferees to complete a declaration form 076. Furthermore, all purchasers of real property must undergo an identity verification process. Also, if you wish to create a joint tenancy with other parties, you will need to be noted as the transferor and the transferee on the transfer form (as joint tenants must acquire land by the same instrument and at the same time).

about 7 years ago

Hire lawyers to solve your legal problem now. Learn more

Other Questions

If you're experiencing any technical problems, please email techsupport@lawadvisor.com.